Pages

Given name and Surrname issues in passport and visa's (FNU)

Questiond about Passport and Visa Name issues :

1.My given name is Traveler, without a surname. This is what is printed in my passport. What will my visa look like?
If a visa is granted, “Traveler” will be written in the Surname field of the visa and “FNU” will be printed in the “Given name” field. FNU stands for First Name Unknown. You can find more information here: http://goo.gl/vmJpn6

Some choose to get a new passport that shows their one name in surname and then “FNU” in place of a given name in order to avoid confusion and difficulties in travel.


2.I got my passport with visa back yesterday. My visa says "Kumar FNU". What does FNU mean? Will I have problems as my Petition and educational certificates all show my name as "Kumar"?

Normally the name shown on the visa is exactly as indicated on your passport. However if the applicant's passport does not have a name written in the surname field, the entire name is shown against the surname and the legend "First Name Unknown" or FNU is reflected in the "Given name" field while printing the visa.
 

3.My passport has no surname but I do have a surname!

Please approach the passport office for any necessary correction so that the passport shows the correct given name and surname before your employee comes to the Consulate for his/her visa interview. 


4.I got my passport back yesterday with a visa stamped on it. But I found that my name/ date of birth are wrong. How do I fix it?

The Embassy follows the information given in the passport for visa issuance purposes. One common problem is when applicants have one name, or have both names in the Given Name or Surname field.  We require the surname field to be completed, and if there is one or more names in the given name field only, we will put that name in the Surname field, and place “FNU,” or First Name Unknown” in the Given Name field.

However, if you feel that a correction is required, please send your original passport along with a correction form through VFS. Correction will be made and new Visa stamped, if approvable. However, if the name on your passport does not match with that shown on your petition and application, please approach your regional passport office and get it fixed.  



These above questions were answered by U.S.Embassy.Delh,India.
on their website : http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/bep_faq.html#fnu
For further questions inquiry  them at :

U.S. Embassy
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi - 110021
Tel: 011-91-11-2419-8000
Fax: 011-91-11-2419-0017

American Center
24, Kasturba Gandhi Marg
New Delhi - 110001
Tel: 011-91-11-2347-2000

Email addresses:
Nonimmigrant visas support-india@ustraveldocs.com
Immigrant visas support-india@ustraveldocs.com
American Citizens Services acsnd@state.gov
General NDwebmail@state.gov
Webmaster  NDwebmail@state.gov
http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/

No comments:

Post a Comment